I thought it might be helpful to new homeowners to provide them with a short list of ten things to do once you get the keys to your new home. Too often some of these points get forgotten in the excitement of finally closing on your new home, so it helps to have a quick reference list.
2) Although the home may already have been left clean by the former owners, you still may want to do some cleaning throughout the whole house. It is a lot easier to clean certain rooms when there is no furniture in place, so take advantage of this before you start moving things in.
3) Keep your mortgage documents in a secure place in your records. Specifically put them in a location that you can find them. You will want to reference your closing statements when you file your income taxes if you are going to take advantage of the Mortgage Interest Deduction on your tax return.
4) Read through any and all manuals related to your appliances and systems, to familiarize yourself with their use if they were made available by the seller. Keep these in a easy to find place as well.
5) If there were any warrantees that transferred to you with the home, such as the furnace, appliances, etc. Be sure to send in the required information to the companies with the warrantee as needed.
7) If there are any neighborhood associations, contact them and make introductions.
8) Go to the post office and notify them of your new residence.
9) Send cards to all your friends, creditors and contacts with your new address information. A little organization can go a long way.
10) Work towards improving your home. Treat it like an investment that you want to increase in value for some later date when you may decide to sell it.
That concludes my list of ten things to do once you get the keys to your new home. If you would like more tips on Real Estate, visit my website at: www.michaeldelaware.com. Or check out one of my Battle Creek Realtor Blog or Southwest Michigan Realtor Blog.
Looking for Southwest Michigan Real Estate? Just Call Michael!
He is your key to the best homes in the region!
2010 'REALTOR OF THE YEAR'
For the Battle Creek Area Association of Realtors
Copyright © Photos and Content by Michael Delaware REALTOR® All Rights Reserved
Read these books written by Michael Delaware:
(Click on these cover images to order!)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain